Sunday, April 28, 2019

VEX Robotics World Championship


April 24-28, 2019

The Catonsville Robotics Club has only been around for a few years, and this team qualified for States for the first time in Club history. They did so well, winning their division, that they qualified for World competition. Rachael and the team put in a lot of hours after school in Mr. Oehrli's room getting ready. They built a practice field and borrowed equipment from all over the county so that they could real world test the design and programming of their robot.


Louis in her pocket, and the new logo shirt
The team picked the name CHS Steel comets, as the school mascot is the comet. Rachael designed a new logo, putting in many hours and mocking up many options. They printed it on t-shirts and sweat shirts. Rachael was in charge of organizing the packing and supply list for the trip to Kentucky. Each student was responsible for dedicating a suitcase to carry tools and parts with them and it was important to make sure they had what they would need. I was a bit nervous sending her off to Lexington, KY for 4 nights, but also excited for the opportunity.


The sponsors had a live stream set up and Rachael sent me the team schedule, so when the first round was about to start I opened my screen and there she was on screen. I was so excited. I hit play and it was another team. I freaked out a little. I thought I lost her somehow. It turned out her team was just the thumbnail, and her team wasn't competing just then.


this is the thumbnail that faked me out




I got my bearings with the schedule and viewing options and soon I was streaming every one of their matches that I could. It was pretty fantastic. I got the hang of the scoring and strategies and I pulled anyone who was nearby over to watch with me. Even my dad got to watch some when he was over for dinner. The first day had mixed results but they did amazingly well the second day. There were a couple of really close games and a few that they won decisively.



Rachael knew I was watching the live stream, because I would text a comment, cheer or word of encouragement after significant matches or events, such as them tipping another robot over or gaining the center platform. Then in qualifying round #174, the announcer asked to bring our attention to the bottom on the field to a little sign. It said "hi mom". The camera did a close up and I inhaled. I recognized Rachael's beautiful cursive. It made my day. She gave me a shout out. I recorded it and took a photo and showed it to each family member. Megan laughed lovingly at me. It really was a thrill.


The team was ranked around 27th out of 98 in their division after the qualifying rounds. This wasn't good enough to make it finals but it was good enough to be chosen as a partner by one of the top sixteen qualifying teams. They were going to the final round. It was a really close match and was within a few points but the other teams flipped flags at the final seconds and they lost. But even that loss didn't diminish their exhilaration and the amazing performance they put in.

The competition had almost 600 teams from all over the world and Rachael came home with stories of befriending the Australians, confusing conversations with Germans, and lots of fun introductions. Rachael also came home with light sticks that they used during the awards ceremonies. The students spelled out words and pictures across the stadiums. They made rhythms and patterns that moved around the arena. I think she had an amazing time and they should be amazingly proud of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment