On Holy Saturday morning the youngest 3 joined me at the church to sort through the church flower delivery, and drape the cross in white. Megan helped me with ladder and the draping, while Bridget and Johanna worked with Deacon Dan to continue sorting and pulling the flowers. Megan and I jumped back into flower arranging after the drape was in place. It took us a while to arrange the plant stands and decide where each pot should be placed. We weren't quite thrilled with the end result and made notes of changes we will make to the order for next year. But we stood back, took a final look and decided the altar was celebratory and joyful.
We headed back to the house and got ready to dye eggs. This has been how we have spent every Holy Saturday afternoon for over a decade. We set up the table and then I realized that I hadn't boiled the eggs yet. Opps. I boiled water and put 3 dozen eggs in our big pot. The timer went off and I moved them to an ice bath. Pretty soon Rachael, Megan, Bridget and Hanna were gathered at the table getting their fingers tips colored along with eggs. Then one egg dropped, the shell split open and the contents oozed onto the table. The eggs were only soft boiled. ... I couldn't reboil the eggs that were already dyed, but I put the water back on and boiled the rest of the eggs until I was sure they were fully hard boiled. The girls were unfazed. I put aside the dread of knowing it would be tricky to peel these and make egg salad in a week.Megan got ready to sing with the OLV choir for the vigil. She had long practices leading up to Holy week. She added her voiceto bring the congregation through the passion, death and Resurrection of our Lord. The music was amazing. Megan sang on Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the Easter Vigil. When we added it up with helping with flowers, it totaled over 12 hours at the church. I really enjoyed attending all of the Masses and being surrounded by the beautiful music. I was happy to provide a coffee drink to help her make it through the 3 hour vigil.
Our Easter morning started off differently this year. Emma was not in the house. Bridget was really upset over this. She kept asking why Emma wasn't spending the night. She really wanted Emma there. The youngest 3 climbed onto our bed Easter morning, we did the ABC game and sang a verse of Jesus Christ is Risen today. Three kids on the bed was less crowded and less cranky but I missed the big girls.
Rachael came up and we went out together to check out the baskets. They started munching on the treats and I put the cinnamon rolls in the oven with the egg casserole. Emma would be arriving later in the morning. We had a peaceful happy breakfast and as we waited for Emma's arrival the girl's got dressed for church. Megan asked to stay home and relaxed in her jammies. It was so good to see Emma and give her a squeeze.
Johanna is in the Children's Choir and she also had practice and then sang at the 10:30 Mass in the hall on Easter morning. Johanna has struggled with sitting with the choir during Mass. A few of her other Choir Masses wound up with her in tears and coming to sit in our pew. But for Easter she was all smiles, she sang full voice, nailed all of the words, and skipped over for the sign of peace. It may have helped being in the hall and having Emma and Rachael with us.When we got back home the girls pulled out the new Easter jump ropes and we headed into our neighbors driveway. I tried to teach them double dutch but I am pretty rusty. After our jumping we went in to watch the 2nd Wreck it Ralph movie and relax together before going the Grampa's. Emma was working in the evening so she was heading back to Towson, Too soon it was time for goodbyes.
After dinner the kids kept themselves occupied inside and out, while the adults visited. I was in the dining room and Mary walked in and her mouth opened wide at the sight of a cake with a slice out of it. Katherine had made the cake to celebrate Mary's birthday, Uncle Henry hadn't realized this and had gotten a slice. We hadn't said we were celebrating birthdays and the desserts were out on the buffet. It was an honest mistake. We decided if we were going to sing to Heather and Mary we should do it soon. We began a search for candles and as we did, my dad got himself a scoop of trifle. The trifle that Will had made to celebrate Heather's birthday. the whole thing put us into fits of laughter. We sang Happy Birthday to Mary and Heather and did a lot of laughing.
Let the Easter Season begin!
Alleluia!











No comments:
Post a Comment