Saturday, May 9, 2015

Bridget's First Holy Eucharist

The week preceding Bridget's 1st Communion was a tumultuous one in the city of Baltimore after protests turned to riots following the death of Freddie Gray. It made for a strange tone as the last religious ed class of the year was canceled. We were happy to see things calm down as Grandma Kate arrived in town to celebrate with us. Grandma was a great lightness to our crazy schedule. She provided that extra pair of hands or eyes, and she always has a listening ear. This visit Grandma also pulled out her cutting scissors as she helped Bridget cut things out for her First Eucharist Banner. Grandma was a big help around the house cleaning and straightening in anticipation of the party to come. The girls and I all worked as a team to cut an arrange flowers to decorate the tables. We went with a light purple and green scheme. I didn't leave enough time to order a cake so I consulted with Bridget and picked up cupcakes. Bridget had wanted a cross on her cake so as a surprise Grandma stayed cut out purple crosses to place on the cupcakes.

Bridget was up bright an early on her First Communion Day and set the tone for an exciting day. She was thrilled to find out about the crosses and she loved the way the colors worked out. She had been talking about her hairstyle for a couple of days and was really a good sport as I poked her head with bobby pins as I secured the braid head band and the braid bun in her head. It took a little while but it turned out great and it made her feel special. The dress, pantyhose and new shoes that Papa had found with her all went on without any difficulty. The veil has a small pearled crown and sat easily on her head. She was ready and got to church with Papa in plenty of time. Lots of family joined us at the church. Father Whatley did a great job setting the reverent tone and also made the kids relax as he talked and joked with them during the homily. Bridget was seated on the center isle and we were in a pew on the other side and just a few rows back, so it was wonderful to get to peak over at her with her joyous smile and praying hands. Grampa vested and was on the altar and got to give Bridget the Precious Blood after she received The Body from Father Whatley. My heart swells with each of these events and my eyes well up. We are so blessed. At the end of the Mass Father said some thank yous and mentioned my dad and that his granddaughter received the sacrament. He asked Bridget to stand up, she rose slowly and I don't think she stood to full height. The congregation clapped, she lowered her head but she was smiling.


We went to the altar and took some pictures. We had brought the banner with us and used it in the pictures. It was way too many pictures for Bridget's liking especially when we pulled the Godparents and Grandparents into the mix. We decided we would take a family picture at home. I wanted a few more pictures of Bridget outside the church but she didn't want to, so we headed home to get lunch on the table. We did a quick family picture and then everyone changed into more comfortable clothes. Bridget got right to playing with cousins inside and outside, upstairs and down. It was a great gathering to celebrate her reception of the Blessed Sacrament.






2 comments:

  1. What a special day to share with her and the family. I am so grateful that I could be there. Her joy was so apparent and she seemed so aware of the truth of the Eucharist. I wonder if I was that aware when I received for the first time? May she, and we, continue to grow in our awareness of God's love and His gift of Himself to us in the Eucharist.
    Love,
    Gramma Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud to be her godmother. Thank you for including me in her spiritual journey.

    ReplyDelete