Wednesday, December 11, 2013

First Taste of Snow

We got an earlier than normal first snow on Sunday. It was beautiful and thick and coated the trees branches with an icing effect. Snow continued off and on into the evening and we woke up Monday without power. It was pretty chilly in the house already. Schools were closed so the big girls stayed home while Jim worked and I brought the little girls to Aunt Becky's before I headed into the office. They all had a fun relaxing day. Then on Tuesday morning the snow began again and they closed school. We didn't get as much as they foretasted but we did get a few inches.

These were a perfect few inches. Just right for packing and making snow balls. I set out all of the snow gear in the mud room and one by one they suited up. Meg and Bridge were out first and got started making snow piles. It took me a while to get Hanna dressed. Putting boots and mittens on toddlers is an Olympic feat. As I was trying to get her boots on she fell over onto her back. She lay there on her bedroom floor and started moving her arms and legs with the cutest grin. Was she doing snow angels?

I brought Hanna out and stood her on the sidewalk. She made the sweetest little O face and looked around. She struggled to move in a way that achieved her goals but Megan was happy to help her get from one place to another. At one point Megan sat her in the snow and Hanna laid back. She made her own little snow angel. I remarked over this and Megan said "I know, I showed her how" I guess the two had been practicing inside for just this moment.


Frustration set in as the reduced mobility continued to be an issue, but we re-positioned Hanna again. The girls were all outside now discussing what to build and how. They collected and molded snow. Hanna meanwhile laid in the snow and rolled to her tummy. She leaned down and let her lips touch the snow. She opened her mouth for a taste, then she did it again quite pleased with the sensation.


Hanna and I headed in after our fun and the big sisters continued to play and create in the snow. Emma molded the snow into a seated human, with impressive results. I don't know if we will get much more snow this season but it put us in the Christmas mindset and I am happy to say that Johanna enjoyed her first taste of snow.
 




1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this one?! When I first started to read, I thought "Wait a minute, wasn't PawPaw there?" Then I checked the date and realized I was just late on reading it.
    Sounds like you all had fun. And it is great to hear how Megan got her little sis prepared for fun in the snow, and Hanna understood!!
    Great work of art! I am glad you included a photo of it.
    Love to all,
    Gramma Kate

    ReplyDelete