Friday, December 27, 2013

Bridget's Lucky #7

What a difference a year makes. I think of her as my "Little Bridget" but then I look at her and I am amazed at how she has grown. A year ago she was a timid kindergartener with a collection of apprehensions and a sweet smile. She still has that same sweet smile but one of the front teeth is now missing and her smile is transitioning to the adult one she will one day display. As a 1st grader Bridget no longer needs to be walked to her classroom by her big sister and sometimes instead walks a kindergartener from our bus stop to her old classroom. Bridget who last year was apprehensive at talking to the other kids in her class is greeted and greets her friends eagerly. Bridget is a diligent student and has made fast progress on reading. She started the year with only letter sounds and now can read a Gerald and Piggy book to her little sister.

Bridget has tried a lot of new things this past year. She stepped into her big sister role with such happiness and lovingly looks out for Hanna. Bridget went to a Girl Scout summer day camp for the first time this August and decided that she wanted to join a GS Daisy troop. They meet every other Monday and has introduced her to a new group of friends. She is a little tentative at Daisys but looks forward to going to the meetings and events. We were all happy to attend a GS ceremony for her investiture. Bridget also decided to play a team sport and joined the rec soccer league. We all had fun cheering her on this season. Bridget has stepped out on her own in many ways this year and has gained a new level of social confidence. She is still very much herself and assesses situations before diving in but she does dive in.

It has been such a pleasure to watch her blossom this year. Bridget's birthday was on a Sunday this year so we had the whole day to enjoy and celebrate her as a family. We started with breakfast in bed, opened gifts, went to Mass, and went out to dinner at her choice of restaurants. She chose the one with the books and the big pictures on the wall. (Dimitri's) Then we ended the evening by watching Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles as a family and painting her nails.

Bridget said it was a day with all of the best things!




Happy 7th Birthday Bridget!

1 comment:

  1. Happy day, indeed. Her father was very timid when he was young--if you can believe that!!
    I look forward to hearing about her maturing and always eager to experience the new Bridget when I visit. All the girls have changed when I see them. Thus is life.
    Liz, do you remember when I could hardly hold Rae at the zoo one visit and I asked how you did it? You answer was so simple and so right. You get accustomed to her weight on a daily basis. Same is true for the girls' maturing. All the blogging in the world could not get me totally ready for the changes I see and experience when I am able to visit. I love the surprises!! They have always been so great and loving-but in changing ways..
    I send my love to all.
    Gramma Kate

    ReplyDelete