Sunday, July 21, 2019

Camp Hidden Lake - Bridget

July 14-20

Bridget got an invitation to join middle school girls from another local youth group to attend a summer camp.  The camp is Called Camp Hidden Lake and it is run by LifeTeen. The biggest worry was that the camp was in Georgia, and that felt quite far away to send our Bridget.  Bridget though only hesitated for a moment, she said she would love to go if her other friend would go as well. Luckily her friend, Joanna, had the same response.

This would be Bridget's first summer sleep away camp but she has done many other shorter sleep away events like GS camping and 6th grade Camp pu'tok. Bridget got the packing list and knew how to get herself and her stuff together. I went over everything with her and was impressed. I added to her gear a manila envelope for each day filled with a treat and love notes from the family.  Then  after Sunday morning Mass at St. Augustine's I gave her a blessing and sent her off on a 10 hour drive to Georgia with 2 youth leaders and 5 others girls in a rented suburban stuffed to the ceiling.

It is hard to be separated without any checking in for a week, but I was happy that the camp had a family page.  I got to see Bridget's picture after the first day and I took a deep breath. It looked like they were having fun out on the lake, on a mud course and playing games and that they were spending time in prayer in daily Mass and evening sessions.







Sitting it out
Then on Thursday we got a call from the camp to let us know that Bridget had a stomach bug.  She threw up Wednesday night and twice on Thursday. She was proud that she always happened to do it in a convenient spot, like outside or in a trashcan. I was so sad for her. Being sick stinks and being sick away from home, and missing things is terrible. I talked to her Friday morning and she sounded happy just not a lot of energy. She said that she was going to the different things on the schedule, but she wasn't doing anything active. She said that everyone was wonderful to her and made sure she was ok. I worried for her on the long ride home and couldn't wait to see her Saturday night.





Bridget couldn't really eat yet but she had no complaints. She only had stories of bonding with the girls in her group, silly songs and games. Stories of mud and prayer. The praise and worship was a new experience for her and left an impression. We were glad to have her back.

One thing she didn't bring back with her was her appetite. The stomach bug she got ravaged her system and she couldn't eat much. After a few days of her being home and eating very minimally, Bridget's shoulder and hip bones were disturbingly prominent. I got her the high calorie nutrition shakes and that helped alot.  It took weeks before she was eating regularly and looking her healthy self again.

No comments:

Post a Comment