Friday, November 18, 2016

Halloween 2016

Halloween was fun again this year.

Rachael had recently discovered a new Netflix remake of the 80's cartoon Voltron, and she decided to be one of the characters this year. As a sophomore, she wasn't going trick or treating, but it was still fun to get dressed up and hang out with friends. She decided to sew her own costume, and it turned out beautifully. She used a series of t-shirts and cut out and appliqued the pieces together on the sewing machine. The project sat as she thought about it and looked at it. It took her awhile to take the plunge and actually do the project. She reminded me of myself. The planning and thinking use a lot of energy and getting to the action part can be hard. She stayed up way to late, but she was proud of it and the huge glasses that she made. I was proud of her too.



Megan had her heart set on being Peggy Schuyler, the third sister made famous in the musical Hamilton. She envisioned a stage worthy gown, I knew that I did not have the time nor money, nor energy to make that happen but all of my suggestions of short cuts turned Megan off. I really dislike putting time and energy into something that I am afraid will be disappointing, so I was reluctant to start. I tried to find yellow fabric, or yellow sheets and finally wound up dying white sheets the right shade of yellow. With the fabric in hand I used Megan as my form and made a number of attempts to pin and drape. I never really got anywhere, and the Thursday before Halloween school had a dressup day. Megan threw together a Hamilton costume with some of my clothes and stapling coffee filters into a neck ruffle. Jim spray painted a pair of glasses and that costume was together. I worked on the gown over the weekend and we got it together just in time. It was all attached by a lot of safety pins but she was delighted with how it turned out. I was too.
Hamilton for school
Bridget had wanted to be Peggy Carter from the Captain America series but after many attempts at gathering or shopping for cool 1940's pieces in her size we went a different direction. She had a fun Mary Poppins costume from dance this past year so Bridget decided to wear that.  I braided and pinned up her hair and we topped it with a red hat. It worked well for both the school parade and trick or treating.


Johanna was into the Finding Dory movie so I pulled out the Dory costume that I had made for Rachael when she was obsessed with Dory at the age of 4. It fit well and only needed a few minor repairs after being in storage for 11 years. Hanna liked to say that she was Dory's Mom Jenny. Hanna was really taken by Dory's Mom and Dad, Jenny and Charlie after the movie.

I worked on Halloween so it was a mad scramble when I got home. Jim had set up the fire pit. I got the girls ready, took pictures and then delivered Rae and Megan to their friend's houses. When I got back the group had just left to trick or treat. The Shumakers, Brinks, and Arnolds as well as lots of neighbors had joined the group. We had texted with Emma and showed her pics of the costumes. I missed her and got the sense she missed us too. It was the first holiday without her here. It was a beautiful evening weather wise, so trick or treating was easy. Hanna was in high gear and often on her on plan, but she was motivated to cooperate. Bridget and Sarah stuck together all night. Our group didn't stay out long but still had very full buckets. The kids sorted candy on our floor while watching The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown movie, while the adults sat around the fire pit. After everyone left and the little girls were in bed, Jim, Rachael and I enjoyed the end of the fire before coming in.

Hanna's Sadness
Bridget's fluffy sheep

Sarah and Ben


1 comment:

  1. Halloween seems so long ago. I am on PawPaw's computer. Mine is in a bad mood most of the time lately. PawPaw showed me facebook pics, but it is so nice to get the story behind them. I know the girls know what gems they have for parents!
    I send my love to each of you.
    Gramma Kate

    ReplyDelete