We have 5 schools this year, so it is a lot of emails to sift through and schedules to track. Our girls take responsibility for their schoolwork and schedules and they do it well. We don't have to manage their homework, aside from checking in on them and asking questions. They are independent but also come to us for help when it is needed and they bring the never ending stream of forms.
We got to visit Emma at TU for parent's weekend. We joined her for a football game and she gave us a tour. It was a great chance to catch up with her. She has a handle on her classes and is doing well. Her roommates Aly and Mattie are easy enough to get along with and there doesn't seem to be much drama. Emma is doing well and it was nice to see it. On Sunday we all went up for Mass together, her sisters were so happy to see her.
Rachael has struggled to find a rhythm with Emma gone but I think she is getting there. I pop in and out of her room on a regular basis and we spend more time together. Rae has been missing the morning school bus a lot, I don't mind driving her in but it disrupts the morning flow getting myself and the little sisters out of the house, so she is working on that. Rae has been doing a lot of stargazing and loved the Supermoon this week. This year in addition to her academics she is taking flute and art.
Megan recently finished her soccer season on the teal team. Her team didn't have the best record but they had good players and were engaged each game. She is developing friendships and likes to stop at Starbucks with friends a few time s a month. Megan is participating in the after school quizbowl team and is active in Girl Scouts and dance.
Jim has been a constant stable force at home, helping to keep things going. He got a chance to go to Las Vegas with friends at the beginning of November for 4 days. He enjoyed some time away and brought home a few maps, which Hanna has been pouring over ever since. Right now he is outside in shorts and a t-shirt raking the leaves that are blowing fiercely as a cold front tries to push in.
I have increased my work hours with the start of the school year. I went from half time to 3/4 time and I feel much more productive at my job. I also joined a weekly women's bible study at our church one night a week. Between work and managing the house and the girls, I am tired a lot. I needed a little more food for the journey and the bible study helps with that. I took a night and went up to PA to visit MarySue. Emma was my road trip companion and spent the night hanging with Maura at her college. I enjoyed both the roadtrip and seeing my friend. It was a treat to have a single attention and focus for a few hours.
We are so blessed.
There was also an election that felt like such a burden and absorbed a lot of my mental energy. It is going to take a long time to heal from this. I can only entrust our country to Mary Our Mother and ask her to intercede for us to her merciful Son.
It wouldn't be fall without the leaves. The girls all helped, even Emma who was home for my birthday.


















Here I am again on PawPaw's computer.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could reach out, or in, and hug each one of you. Keep up the good work, Liz. It is nice that you and Jim get little breaks from the routines--which probably are not always 'routine', but full of surprises and challenges.
Now, I guess you meant it was Hanna's first school bus ride. She had quite a few in Rome and to and from the cruise ship. But they were different.
The girls sound very busy, responsible, and happy. Great news for Gramma Kate.
I am with you and our need to trust Mother Mary to help our country and trust in Jesus and his mercy.
My love to each of you,
Gramma Kate