Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Busy at School

High School is full of milestones and Emma hit one of them at the beginning of November. She received her class ring. The class of 2016 is a big one (400+), but only a small portion of the class members participate, so it was an intimate ceremony of about 50 Juniors and their families. Emma got dressed up and found her place in line to process into the auditorium. They called her name, she walked through a giant ring to the center of the stage and turned her ring stone up. There wan't must to the ceremony but it was fun and then we had cake. Hitting these milestones are nods to the bigger processionals to come.


Then a few weeks later we went to the auditorium for another ceremony. This one felt more important, a recognition of an accomplishment. Emma was inducted into the National Honor Society.  It took an essay, an application, 2 years of excellent grades, many service hours and leadership activities with signatures to verify them all. Emma has an amazing GPA and a ridiculously high QPA. We are proud of her and I hope she is proud of herself.



This past week was also American Education week so I took the opportunity to visit the girl's classrooms on multiple days.

Thursday I went to the middle school to visit Rachael's 8th grade class. It happened to be lunch time so I joined her in the library. She ate her lunch as she tended to her library duties, then we went to her science class together where I got to see her in action doing a lab, complete with a beaker, bunson burner and goggles. It was fun to see her in action.


Then I went to the elementary school where I visited Megan's reading class. Since I was there Megan and her group got to present her project on a famous naturalist, Theodore Roosevelt. She and 2 friends put together a scrapbook on his life and interests. She spoke clearly and proudly. The scrapbook turned out great.


Friday morning I headed back to the elementary school to visit Bridget's 2nd grade classroom. She had been working on a persuasive project where her turkey dressed up as a peacock. She had to write an essay from the turkey's point of view trying to convince us that he was a peacock and we should not eat him. It was fun to work with her on her essay and she was happy to have me there.


It is their happy faces, the truly happy, proud, and important faces that make me thrive. I love these girls and I am so proud of them.




1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had to wait until the end of Jr. year for my ring. Eager to see it. Congratulations to Em for using all the gifts God has given her, and working at them.

    It must be quit a gift to be able to share in each of the girl's school life. And it takes effort on your part to do it. So the girls have good examples from their parents on "putting out an effort and enjoying the results".

    I miss you so much. Love,
    Gramma Kate

    ReplyDelete