Our first summer as pool members is more than half over, and the swimming lessons are underway. Our pool offers 3 sessions of swim lessons but we weren't able to do either of the earlier two because of vacation and vacation bible school, so we made sure to get Megan and Bridget into the 3rd session. We have been coming to the pool pretty regularly this summer, not everyday or most days like some of the pool families but at least a few times a week. I am finding it a great way for my 7 summer charges to spend the day. They play well, are physically active, and are outside, all without complaining or fighting for 2 whole hours. When we get home it is time for naps, quiet time, and summer workbook completion.
All of our girls are comfortable in the water but Megan could benefit from actual instruction and Bridget needs to actually swim not just be OK in shallow water. The lessons are in the evenings so frequently the whole family will go to the pool for a few hours. Both girls had positive outlooks on the lessons and eased in well. Bridget is an Accorn (non-swimmers) and has gradually gained confidence and can go under water now. She is practicing freestyle arms and effective kicking. Floating on her back still scares her for now. Megan was originally signed up for Branches (swimmers without formal stroke training) but they moved her up immediately to the Saplings group. Even though Megs hadn't had formal training she did freestyle well on her first lap. Megan has great arm extension and strong kicks. She has learned butterfly and breast stroke as well. Today she did flip turns without issue. Both of the girls are enjoying the lessons and I think they will build on what they learned for the rest of the summer. I have also collected more freckles then ever, while the girls have beautiful slight tans.


Maybe the quick crawl lesson Meg and I had in Florida helped.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you all.
PaPa
I love hearing that your girls are adjusting well to swim lessons. William and Lillian have loved their lessons and their coaches. I may have actually gotten a new babysitter out of the deal. Can't beat a babysitter who is lifeguard and CPR trained! I would love to do a pool play date with you when we get back from our vacay in a few weeks.
ReplyDeleteCouldn't believe the pics of Bridget in the water! She looks so relaxed and free. Good for her.
ReplyDeleteI didn't like back floating either, but it is so important to learn. Relaxing will come with more confidence in the water. I always get a kick out of PawPaw floating on his back--I only see his face, and not much of that!
I wonder if part of Megan's strength comes from her dancing?
Great family fun!! Love to all XXXOOOXXXOOO