Monday, January 2, 2012

Rachael's New Year

My little bundle with the big alert eyes and tiny beautiful head has embarked on another year. Rachael has a way of engaging the world that is fun to watch and share and I told her many times on her eleventh birthday that I am so glad she was born. Each child has a uniqueness but it is Rachael's obvious complexity that sets her apart. Right on the surface are her intelligence and inquisitiveness. Her exuberance jumps out at you, but so does her sensitivity. She is daring but also a worrier. Rachael seems to bundle frustration and joy in every part of her day.

Rachael has an emotional self awareness that pours out in quiet moments after lights out. It is these moments where I realize that God made an amazing soul and I know without a doubt that there is a plan for her that only she was made for.


Rachael has a very strong sense of what she likes and what she does not. She is aware of the trends that flow through the 5th grade but disregards most of them. Her taste in fashion, tv shows, and music are not dictated by her friends. Fashion is all about comfort for Rachael, right now she has 5 pairs of the same pants and 10 of the same style shirts in various solid colors and these are the only things she wears. She did pick up the technology bug though. She didn't really care what tech she had but she wanted a new gadget. We wound up getting her the Nook Color. It has games and music and of course books, but we can disable the wifi connection so it isn't too much. So far she is loving it.

My fascinating girl is growing up at a pace all her own. Happy 11th Birthday Boo Rae! I love you!


2 comments:

  1. I remember the day she was born and the awe that I felt when I saw her. When Jim called me to tell me the good news, he invited me to come see her saying that I was "practically a sister already" even though Will and I were just engaged at the time. Happy, happy birthday to Rachael! I am so touched by her constant kindness to William. xoxo. Love you, Rae!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad Rae has parents' that appreciate her unique gifts.
    When I think of Rachael, 'enthusiasm' is my first thought.
    She reminds me of her PawPaw's interest in the new, his enjoyment of discovery.
    Have a great year, dear Rachael. I look forward to the things we will discover together in FL this June.
    LOVE to all!

    ReplyDelete