Thursday, February 24, 2011

Little John

I am on a baby high. Witnessing a birth, elicits such a sense of euphoria I can't think of a better way to describe it. I am lucky to be a part of a family so open to life and so comfortable and supportive that it is willing to share such an intimate event as a birth.

Heather and Will were expecting their 3rd child and I was honored that they called me when it was time, really time. This 3rd little one kept Heather busy and guessing for the 2nd half of pregnancy as to when he would arrive. She had contractions early and frequent enough that she was on medication to stop them for weeks. But in the end this little one showed up right on time, his due date precisely. 

It is not just seeing the recently arrived little one that draws me. Labor is an amazing window to our humanity. I don't think it is possible, while in labor, to put on false airs, and I think this is one of the reasons why I have enjoyed being present for at least one birth for each of my sisters. There is so much human beauty to behold in the process. Anticipation and natural fear is on display in the early stages, when contractions are mild, the waiting is about to end but pain is looming. There is such capability in laboring mothers that is laced with vulnerability.  It is this unguarded proficient strength that is motherhood and it makes me marvel in the wisdom and power of our God. Vulnerability allows for words of reassurance to be given and received. It allows for relying not in our own strength but on the deep knowledge that truly God has made us capable, capable to be an active part of His plan. Labor is a blessing full of opportunity to minister to one another and to trust in God's design. Witnessing this within my family, has made a deep impact on me and I treasure it. 

Will and Heather were an amazing laboring team. Will was in tune to her needs, both physical and emotional as they changed through labor and he was so encouraging. Heather released her ideal timeline and released her desire for the doctor with the good bedside manner and she did so gracefully. After twelve hours of labor and very human pain, Heather drew on that deep strength and pushed Little John with focus and determination. She was vulnerable, beautiful, powerful and amazing.  

Welcome Little John, and your not so little 9 pounds 2 ounces. 

 GOD IS GOOD... All the Time!


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful sharing, Liz. Congratulations to Will and Heather and little John's big brother and sister. Robin Hood's friend Little John was also no-so-little.
    May I share your reflection/sharing?
    Love to all the cousins, aunts and uncles and Grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of the Robin Hood connection when we saw how big he was, and yes feel free to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, this was so eloquently written as was the one about Claudia's baptism. Thank you for sharing your insight. We were blessed to have you as part of the event. xoxo

    ReplyDelete