I rejoined my troop who was making fast work of our section of the stream. We spent more time on the banks picking up all of the plastic wrappers and convenience food trash. Rachael was having a blast and popped back and forth between sections. She didn't clear one section of trash but instead climbed all over the area picking up trash as she went. On of the dad's commented that Rae reminded him of his son, who is hyper active, but that Rachael followed directions better. She had a great time and we pulled out 8 black trash bags full of garbage. Everyone was getting tired, so we prepared to head over for some food.Rachael had found a number of interesting things during our clean up and was really upset that I had thrown them in with the rest of the trash. I had explained that we weren't keeping anything ahead of time but she had gotten attached to a green plastic ladybug. She was over tired and wound up crying for the next 45 minutes. It was very difficult to deal with because we had another brownie with us and we needed to meet the troop for food. Luckily Jim arrived in the church parking lot with Bridget, where food was being served, to pick Megan up for a birthday party, shortly after we arrived. It gave Rachael a little time to calm down and I was able to check on my troop and Megan inside. Megan was proud to show me the cake that she had baked and decorated before she left with Jim and Bridget.
Rachael stopped crying but became self conscious of her red eyes. She found a knit hat in the car and pulled it down really low, She ate and regained her composure, and had a great time playing in the hall. We were there for a long time waiting for brownie parents to arrive and for Emma's troop to get back. I was glad to see Emma arrive and in great spirits. She had a pretty substantial bruise on her knee from the fall she took earlier. Emma obviously had a great time in the stream and they too pulled out lots of trash.
I know that I get a surge of accomplishment out of this type of service activity and I love watching the joy that the girls get out of doing something helpful. Serving just feels good and I hope Emma, Rachael, and Megan seek out activities for this feeling over and over again.



Come to my yard, you hard workers! What stream are you referring to? Remember, I am out of town.
ReplyDeleteThe leaves of our bulbs are up but only the crocus and a little white flower called snow something-I think-have put out their flowers. It was a joy seeing your daffodils. I was reminded how different our seasons are. And it is always a joy to see the girls!!
Love to all
We clean Herbert's Run. It winds through Catonsville and Arbutus and ends in the Bay. It flows behind Charlestown and OLV too.
ReplyDelete