Well I knew it was bound to happen and yet I find myself unprepared for hormone swings. Last week we struggled through. It wasn't a yelling angry week but lots of resistance and eye rolling. It is minor things like adjustments to outfits that she puts on. We recently bought her age appropriate white high heels but still cool and I explained that they were for church and special occasions. She took to wearing them around the house, but heels aren't good for feet so I indulged this a little but would ask her to take them off after awhile. I receive huffs and eye rolling in return. One day she put them on as she headed out the door for girl scouts, I think in hopes I wouldn't notice, but I made a point to be gentle and calm and ask her to change. She got mad at me, and got teary. Some things aren't worth fighting over but I knew this was just the beginning.
Later in the week another inappropriate outfit issue arose and again Emma got teary and mad. Then she spouted something to the effect of "stop trying to run my life". Deep Breath... I asserted that as her Mom it is my job to be in charge and guide the decisions she makes. I know that I have a fine line to walk and I know that I don't want to start an adversarial cycle. That situation deflated and the week ended. Yesterday Em curled up next to me on the sofa and said "I love you Momma". Sigh...
I take very seriously my responsibility of raising her and her sisters, but sometimes I wonder If I am just riding the wave of activities and not really assessing if these are the things that are going to build her into a strong Christian woman. It is starting and I need to be paying attention.
And we are behind you with prayer, prayer for all. It is a hard time that has to be lived through. The foundation you have helped Emma build will help her through it.
ReplyDeleteLove to all.