Thursday, June 16, 2022

Megan Graduates from High School

 Class of 2022!


Graduation was scheduled for 7:00 PM on Saturday, June 11, both late in the day and late in the year. After much discussion we decided to throw Megan's graduation party the same day at noon. I pulled out the planning info and pictures from her sisters parties and got planning going. We would be doing the taco bar like we had done for her sisters so I pulled out the recipes and made the cooking schedule. I cook the food myself and it's a good bit of work. Rain was forecasted so we had to be flexible. In the end we decided to have food inside and put tables outside under our tent and a sail cloth I bought for the party.




The family all pitched in to get things decorated, food prepped and heated up. Rachael came over early to help and was a great addition. She was going to have to leave early from the party for work. Emma on the other hand wouldn't arrive until after the party; she would join us for the ceremony that night.


I prepared a picture slide show that ran in the living room. I also made a music play list but I couldn't find my phone to get it to play. Throughout the party I borrowed Megan or Jim's phone to take pictures. Megan had bought a new white dress for graduation but it got snagged and holes in it by a cat right before the party. Bridget stepped in to help and offered her Easter dress, which turned out great. Everything went great, people came and went, ate and visited. Megan had some of her babysitting families visit, she played cards with friends, and greeted and grinned at family and friends all day.

We got a little bit of down time before the ceremony, where we did some clean up, eat and relax. I got a few pictures of her in her cap and gown before we had to leave for the ceremony at Towson's SECU arena. Megan got a ride with Savannah since they had to show up a little early and then Jim, Bridget, Johanna and I went up  later. Emma joined us there.




The graduation ceremony moved fast, the student speakers were solid and then all of a sudden it was done. She was done. She was finished with the required schooling. 

Graduates, family and friends surged outside and the pull to reconnect began. We caught sight of her amid the thousands of people, way across the courtyard, perched on a wall. She looked so solitary and closed off. I sensed that it was all a bit overwhelming. I couldn't get to her fast enough. We took just a few pictures as families moved around us, but there was an unknown feeling lingering. It was already getting dark and plans for afterward were not yet established. Megan joined a few friends for pictures and then we were ushered out of Towson's arena. Her mood seemed to lighten. Megan, Bridget and Emma all loved the idea of going to a local boba tea place, so that is what we did. We played cards together, drank our tea and enjoyed each other before heading back to the parking garage. We dropped Emma off at her car and then made the way back home. We were all pretty exhausted after a long day.







I am so proud of Megan and I look forward to her next path. This path really can be any that she puts the effort into. Next up is Senior week at Chincoteague, VA. She and Savannah rented a house together for 5 nights. I hope it is a fun fresh start for the next stage in life.

Congratulations Megan! I love you!





No comments:

Post a Comment