As our Christmas interactions became classified as close contacts, all of our activities contracted. Rachael's roommate tested positive and the other roommate's girlfriend tested positive. Our original ideas of a family dinner for Rachael's birthday transitioned to an IOU. But I couldn't let her day go by without making sure she knew we love her and wish her the best. I do that by being helpful. I picked up a few things for her from the grocery store, and then found out what she wanted for dinner. Jim went and picked dinner up and stopped for the things I needed from a different store.
Our household then piled in the van and we drove over to make a birthday delivery and wish her a very Happy birthday. We stood on her front steps, waved, and smiled under our masks. I was a little sad to not spend more time with her but we felt good to have seen her and sent her our love. She messaged that she'd like to have a proper "drinks and cards" 21st celebration with the family, and that made me smile. She planned a friends call to play Minecraft and speed run a game together. They were all on board, Josh set up a special server and they downloaded the game so they could participate from their homes.
I am so glad Rae finds joy around her. This fall has brought her to reassess how she wants to be spending her time and although she loves to learn things she has decided not to continue with college for now. She never found a good groove with school, with multiple semesters impacted by the pandemic and stress. Maybe someday she'll go back but not now. She commented that she'd be happy with a simple life and a daily routine. Rachael likes living at her townhouse with friends and will look for a job in the new year. It will have to be something local, while she saves for a car. It took me a little bit to adjust to this idea. I guess I had college as my plan for her, it was the path she was on, but it doesn't mean it was the path for her. We are wishing her bright things and God's direction in her next steps.
Rachael makes me smile and I am so grateful to be her Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment