Sunday, June 27, 2021

End of Middle School- Bridget

June 2021

COVID cases are decreasing and vaccination rates are increasing but organizations dealing with kids, who are mostly still unvaccinated, are maintaining safety measures for the time being. This meant that big end of school year events wouldn't look like non-pandemic years.

Bridget was coming to the end of the 8th grade, and the end of her middle school experience. She was ready to say goodbye and ready for it to be over. Bridget was happy to be done with the French Horn, she never loved it and really hated virtual band. She was glad to carry that horn and drop it off at school for the last time.


Saying good-bye to friends is harder and we were really relieved that the PTSA offered to host an 8th grade picnic at the local state park. At first there wasn't a big interest but soon all of the kids warmed to the idea. It was a simple evening event, where parents set up volleyball nets, corn hole, other yard games and the kids just played. Most were masked, but honestly they were so used to masks that it wasn't an issue at all. The PTSA got a photo booth, and gathered gift cards for a raffle. The students had a great time, just hanging out. I chaperoned but really it was an excuse to take some pictures of Bridget and her friends. Bridget found her crew at the end of 6th beginning of 7th grade but hadn't gotten many chances to hang out outside of school, then the pandemic hit and they didn't get together. She would talk on group calls and stay connected. She was happy to see them when in-person school restarted and have lunch together in the library and then the maker space. But I never got to witness them together, and certainly had missed all of the photo ops that would have normally happened at school events and birthdays.  She consented to picnic photos and shared them with all of her friends later. They were all glad to have pictures together.





The school wasn't hosting any parent attended events but they announced an 8th grade ceremony on the last day that would be posted online. One of the communications said the event would be live-streamed for parents, so I tried to log in to watch. I thought I'd get a chance to witness my kid walking across a stage. The school sent links that morning, but they wouldn't work. I was poised at my computer trying to participate and it was upsetting to feel like I was missing it. It turned out that there was nothing live. The school pre-recorded awards and messages, and the 8th graders watched from their classrooms. There was no group participation and no walking a stage. The school admin corrected the links and I got to see the presentation, of slide show awards and prerecorded speeches.



Bridget received 2 awards: Academic Achievement in Reading and a Certificate of Recognition for Self Discipline. They also put out together a slide show and Bridget was in a few photos both old and new. After the school day, as we packed for Jim's 50th Camping Trip, I drove Bridget for one last trip through the middle school bus loop. They called her name and teacher's clapped. And she was done.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment