May 2, 2021
Welcome to the Table of the Lord
What a joyous day! It was a bright, sunny day full of newness and the promise of Christ's love for us and the gift of Himself. Johanna was prepared and anticipating receiving Jesus. We spent a few months working through a book together. Grampa and Jim helped do chapters with her too. She attended two workshops and made a banner to hang on the end of the pew. Her banner kit had enough supplies to make 2 banners so she made a second to hang at her party. We had a bag of unconsecrated hosts and Johanna practiced receiving and managing her mask. We tried on the dress, veil, shoes and tights in advance and were thrilled that the dress and veil were still in good shape and fit well. Initially Johanna wasn't keen on the ensemble, but within moments she was smiling at herself in the mirror.
This would be the first party we would host in 15 months and I felt a bit rusty. I ordered invitations but with continued problems with the postal system, they arrived 3 weeks late and not in enough time to mail out. We decided they would just go out with Thank you notes afterward. As the day approached we got the house and yard ready. It was Jim's last week working at Guinness, so he wasn't available to help much, but I made a list and things were getting checked off. The day before I headed to Sam's club to get the food. With our food on the check out belt, the power went out. We waited and there were a few flickers of hope but inevitably they said we had to leave. I left without any food. I called the girls and told them I was held up and asked them to work through the list. I drove to another Sam's and shopped again. My normally 45 minute task turned into 3 hours. I was expecting it to be a long evening of prep. I came home to a clean house and a mostly completed list. Megan and Bridget did a great job and I felt really blessed. The girls and I then got to do the fun prep. We arranged flowers and made cupcake toppers and got out decorations.
On Sunday morning a beautiful day greeted us. Johanna was eager to get dressed and enjoyed having just a little bit of hair braided and pulled back so we had a good foundation to attach the veil. We used as few bobby pins as possible. We got to church early as requested, and I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures of Johanna before Mass started. Johanna was happy to not be sitting still. We were in the farthest forward pew and squeezed in it's short length. Mass was reassuring and familiar with a layer of excitement. Hanna leaned over and said it was going faster than usual. As we progressed through the liturgy of the Eucharist Johanna got more talkative and wiggly. And then it was time. She filed out of the pew just as we practiced and she extended her hands to receive her Lord.
At the end of Mass they invited the 3 kids who received First Holy Communion to come forward to receive certificates. Next month 2 more kids will be welcomed to receive Eucharist as well, it is a small group which is a little sad but it is also more personal. All of her Baltimore aunts and uncles were able to attend and we were looking forward to hosting them for a lunch back at the house.
It was so nice to be able to have people celebrate Johanna's joyous day. We took a few more pictures at the house and then a number of people changed to t-shirts. It was already hot out. Johanna decided that she wanted to stay in the dress, and since she is our youngest I was not as worried about her getting it messy. We scrambled to get the food and drinks out and Becky was immensely helpful. We said grace and Jim offered a special blessing for Johanna. It was an unseasonably hot day so we all sought out shady spots in the backyard to eat our lunch.
Cousins played games and ran around and ate lots of watermelon. The adults visited, we got caught up on summer plans and vaccination stories, and life in general. It was so nice to have Jim with us and not worry about him heading to work. Cornhole was played. My dad and Mary were both serving at the 12:30 Mass so they arrived later. After they ate everyone was ready for dessert. Johanna and Sarah carried the cake and cupcakes out and Johanna was ready to cut the first slices.
We waited until Rachael returned from work to open gifts. We had given Johanna a cross necklace before Mass with 4 images on the edges surrounding a Chalice in the center: Miraculous medal, Sacred Heart of Jesus, St Joseph and St Christopher. She received some lovely gifts, religious articles, and books. Rachael gifted Johanna the Hogwarts castle and Hagrid's Hut which Rae had gotten in kindergarten. Johanna is blessed by the generosity of the people in her life and is especially blessed by their prayers.
It was such a lovely day and I am so happy to have Johanna join us in experiencing the fullness of Mass and join us for the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen



















No comments:
Post a Comment