Megan's first bunion surgery was a success, and her follow-up visits have all confirmed that she is healing well, and that the left foot was now strong enough for regular activity. With that news we shifted our attention to the bunion on the right foot. It too causes pain and is a candidate for surgery.
The coronona virus pandemic has dragged on and escalated through the holidays. Public Schools have continued to operate virtually so we were again presented with the least disruptive time for a teenager to deal with recovery and inability to engage in activity. We scheduled surgery for the middle of February. Our winter had a series of decent snow storms in which we actually got accumulation. They called for another one the morning of surgery.
I think Megan and I were both more tense about this surgery, because there was a big chance it would be canceled. She was the first surgery of the day and when we got up it was still on, despite there being a few inches of sleet piling up already. We headed out early and I slowly made my way to Kernans. It was bad out. But we got there and got checked in. It went smoothly from there, except that Dr. Brandao got delayed by the weather. They did some prep but not meds until they confirmed he was there, and then everything went in fast forward. I gave Megan a blessing and they moved her almost immediately to the OR.
The surgery took about the same amount of time. I got some breakfast, said a rosary and waited. Then in quick succession the patient liaison came out, then Dr. Brandao, then the discharge nurse and as the nurse was reviewing things, Megan was rolled out in a wheelchair. The discharge seemed to happen very quickly and it was a bit overwhelming. Last time I had gone back and I sat with her as anesthesia wore off. Megan looked scared and disoriented and said she wished I had come back. I really wished I had come back too. Especially when Megan shared on the ride home that she had fallen in the bathroom. We just wanted to get her Subway and get her home
Luckily this time we knew what we were doing. I had a plastic bag to cover her foot. Jim had come out and chipped away at the 6 inches of sleet that solidified into ice. We got her into the house and into her room. I had a medication chart and timing system already set up. It was good to be back safe at home.
![]() |
| Ice pack help from Hanna and Momma |
![]() |
| Cards with Katherine |
![]() |
| Visit from Zach |
In the fall Megan had a lot of pain when the wraps and stiches were removed, and she was really relived that it was not the case this time. He said that he used external stiches instead of the internal dissolving stiches like last time. Taking pain meds before the appointment probably helped with this too. She was cheery on our way home instead of being in tears.
Megan's recovery has been rapid. She has more confidence walking in her boot. We are hopeful that her transition to the hybrid high school schedule will go smoothly.







No comments:
Post a Comment