Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Rachael gets an apartment

Gaining independence during a pandemic is a challenge, and Rachael was one of thousands of college students trying to make headway into adulthood when we shut down. Rachael pushed through the barriers and searched for apartments online and worked with friends in similar situations. Finally in October after months of socially distant planning, she found a 3 bedroom/1 bath townhouse with a basement that allows for cats and got to the paperwork. The apartment is within walking distance of UMBC, so if it turns out to be a good place, she can stay here until the end of college. Lease paperwork was a hassle with 3 first time renters and 3 co-signers but finally it got submitted and accepted.  The move-in date was set for Halloween.

Rachael had to work that weekend and we weren't available to help, so Rachael slept over on Halloween after work and we set her move-in to be on Tuesday, which also happened to be election day. Moving was a great distraction from politics.



Rachael's first night was a fitting pizza and moving boxes vibe, but spiced up with Rachael's Halloween costume, Kyoshi Warrior. she asked me if I would bless the new place, so I brought over holy water and offered a house blessing when I dropped her off.



On Tuesday Jim had off and Emma came down to help. We packed up the van and got the twin bed, that Emma had used and had been stored in our garage, over to the townhouse. While the sisters put the bed together, Papa, Bridget and I went over to my Dad's house and picked up the white dresser and mirror and cabinet, that I had in middle school and moved those over as well. About 2 weeks prior we went to an estate sale around the corner and found a kitchen table and a bunch of kitchen wares.  Between those items, lots of personal items, and Aunt Mickey's brown dishes the only thing missing was a sofa and coffee tables.  That night I took her grocery shopping and we stocked her pantry cabinets and fridge. 


I found a free sofa on Facebook Marketplace, so on my birthday, Jim went with Rachael to pick it up and move it into her place. It was really heavy and was a physical undertaking, but they did it, and immediately it felt more like a home. Leia, Rachael's cat, took a few days to get settled but she was more relaxed once the place was furnished. The next day I grabbed her a bookshelf from online. I feel like Rachael is set up for success and I look forward to seeing her grow in her independence.


O heavenly Father, Almighty God, we humbly beseech Thee to bless and sanctify this house and all who dwell therein and everything else in it, and do Thou vouchsafe to fill it with all good things; grant to them, O Lord, the abundance of heavenly blessings and from the richness of the earth every substance necessary for life, and finally direct their desires to the fruits of Thy mercy. At our entrance, therefore, deign to bless and sanctify this house as Thou didst deign to bless the house of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob; and may the angels of Thy light, dwelling within the walk of this house, protect it and those who dwell therein. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment