Confirmation
What a blessed day!Megan received the Sacrament of Confirmation at St Mark Church supported by her Godparents, and her family both present and through prayer.
We went out a few weeks ahead of time to find a good dress for the special occasion, it took a bit of patience but the result was beautiful. Also as a gift Megan got a second set of holes in her ears. She got the first set when she received the Sacrament of the Eucharist so it seemed fitting when she asked. Grandma Kate and Pawpaw had sent a gift which included a wooden cross and Megan chose to wear that to Mass.
We had had obnoxious weather for most of the new year, with evening ice but not much snow and it wound up that some of the Confirmation prep was canceled including all of the Sponsor interactions. Megan had her Godmother, Kirsten Brink, stand for her as sponsor but sadly I feel like they missed the richness of what that could have been.
The Confirmation Mass was offered by Bishop Madden and he read from portions of the Confirmandi's letters during his Homily. I always love the beauty of the laying on hands and the sealing with Chrism, it always makes me take a deep breath. Megan chose Silvia as her confirmation name. Saint Silvia was new to me and so I asked Megan to tell me about her. Saint Silvia was the mother of Pope Saint Gregory the Great and is the parton saint of pregnancy and midwives. I asked Megan why she chose Saint Silvia and she said it was because she loves babies and because of me and her aunts and our pregnancies. I felt really honored by that and hadn't expected it. It reminded me that our approach to life can be a witness in big ways and small.
![]() |
| With Kirsten and Jim Brink |
Megan is now fully initiated into the Catholic church and I pray that she draws strength, wisdom and grace from the Church and goes out to be disciple full of the Holy Spirit. Jim and I gave her a necklace of a small enameled egg with a dove and this prayer card. I found this prayer card and felt that it offered a very useful prayer for a young disciple.
Megan may you rely upon the Advocate, Peracleate, and Helper as you live the life you were created for.





No comments:
Post a Comment