And so every January the March for Life presents itself and asks "are you going?". Sometimes the answer is "I'd like too, but", and sometimes it is "yes". This year I put the date on the calendar and called to book a spot on the bus through a local parish. I asked the kids and Megan and Bridget decided they wanted to come this time.The day was a little windy but in general it was a beautiful day in January to March from the Washington Monument to the Supreme Court. We gathered at St. Agnes for Mass and then piled in 2 buses to make our way to the Capitol.
The night before I ran out to the store and bought poster board and big markers. Usually we pick up signs on the mall from the Knights of Columbus, but this year I wanted to make my own. I went political. I have struggled with the election of Donald Trump, because I have been horrified at the way he has treated people. From underpaying contracts of small business owners to degrading comments to and about women. He has shown over and over that he has little or no respect for most people. When it comes to voting, I am a registered Republican and tend to vote that way, mostly because of pro-life stances but also for others as well. Trump though does not seem to know the pro-life platform nor hold it's tenants as core values. I have no faith in his pro-life views beyond their being politically advantageous to him currently. And so my sign.
Megan and Bridget worked on their posters during the bus ride to the March and they were ready when we arrived. A lot of my family were there as well so we stuck with them as our buses unloaded and the large crowds gathered. Bridget stayed close to Sarah, and Megan hung out with Sophia and the guys throughout the day. Not surprisingly near the Washington Monument, it was difficult to get close to the stage and to hear the speeches. When the rally was over people began to move toward the parade route and because of our position we went a block up before going over the to route. We wound up ahead of the front of the official March but there were already thousands and thousands moving up the route. We stopped for a snack and a group picture as the front of the March caught up to us.
A reporter from the Washington Post approached me and asked if he could interview me. That was a little intimidating and it was very strange to see the story pop up online a short time later. link to Washington Post article The piece isn't completely accurate (this wasn't my 12th straight march- maybe 12 in my lifetime) and I wish I could edit it to add more of my pro-life comments, but it was pretty close to the sentiment I expressed verbally. And I was so glad the March for Life had real press coverage this year.
We made our way to the Supreme Court and then our group gathered at a church nearby, that served snack and hot chocolate. We made our way to a nearby square where we were meeting our buses. The most difficult thing about the day was trying to get the buses to find a good place to park in the traffic circle so we could get on. The bus must have had to make 8 loops before being able to stop. It was a comedy of errors. But we loaded into our seats and headed back to our comfortable, blessed lives.I believe very deeply that all life is sacred and should be treated with respect and dignity. From the tiniest individual life dependent on it's mother, to the hungry child, to the outcast teen, and homeless refugee, to the middle aged man getting out of jail, to the elderly women with a scary diagnosis. All of them are worthy of love and life.
Being unwanted, inconvenient, or without hope, does not change someone's inherent value or diminish their humanity.
I hope and pray that someday, that humanity will be treasured in all of it's stages and we won't need to March.



No comments:
Post a Comment