Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Papal Mass

Pope Francis has been making an impression in our world and more specifically in our hearts, so when it was announced that he was making a trip to the East Coast of the United States I knew I was going to make a point to be there.

It takes a little effort to attend a Papal Mass, and during all of my other chances I just wasn't clear headed enough to know it was worth the effort. Pope John Paul II visited Washington DC when I was 5 and while the older members of my family went, I stayed with Great Aunt Mickey. I remember watching the TV not knowing what I was looking for but mostly the Papal Pennant that my dad brought home late that evening. Then while I was living in Denver, Pope John Paul II came to celebrate World Youth Day and my sister Mary came out for the event. Despite knowing someone who was going, I let the lack of a connection to a youth group and my scheduled shift at Bennigan's be the reason I didn't go. The restaurant was empty and I sat around all day really regretting not going. Then in 2008 Pope Benedict IVX came and celebrated Mass at Camden Yards. I hadn't been paying attention and completely missed out on getting a ticket to the Mass. This year though I was motivated and paying attention and I wanted to share the experience with my family. 


Grandma Kate and PawPaw generously offered to come out to Baltimore and watch the little kids, just so we could go to Philadelphia. We decided that Hanna and Bridget would stay home after we reviewed the organizational information that stressed that there would be lots of walking and we decided that Megan would stay to hang out with her grandparents and assist with Hanna. Rachael and Emma were excited to be going. Jim was at his annual Poker weekend but decided that he should come to help keep us safe. I spent a lot of time looking over the organizers website as well as talking to MarySue in Philly, who invited us to stay with her. The organizers decided to create a ticketed area for the Papal Mass and I sat at the computer attempting to get tickets right as they were released. The 10,000 tickets were gone in 30 seconds, and I did not get them. Still there was to be plenty of space for non-ticketed participants.

Do you see his hand?
We headed to Philly Saturday night and found out on the way that MarySue lived near St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, where the Holy Father was staying during his visit to Philadelphia. We were going to line the street at the entrance to greet him after his attendance to the World Meeting of the Families. It was a small but excited crowd, as we stood on the bridge under a streetlight. The motorcade was considerable and moving quickly and everyone started screaming. I had my phone out in the hope of catching a picture of him. I was looking through my screen and missed the picture as well as missing actually seeing him in his Fiat. Jim on the other hand was very gratified to have seen Pope Francis, waving and smiling through his open window. He said that the Holy Father looked right at our girls and smiled. Our group headed back and after watching local Philly coverage of the days events, and liking the meme of MarySue's dad, we headed to bed. 

Embedded image permalink
Jim Owens is the Deacon on the right side, He got to serve on the altar at the Mass at the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul.





We got up early Sunday morning, grabbed breakfast and drove to the train station. Everything was well organized and before we knew it we were in Philadelphia. We stopped for coffee because many of us can't handle the no-caffeine headache, then we got in the security checkpoint line. This took quite awhile and it made me glad we had gotten an early start. We made our way through people on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and moved to the center circle along the parade route with view of a few of the jumbo trons. It was a wonderful mood on the parkway and there were many languages and cultures represented. A groups of Argentinians on one side of the circle and Brazilians on the other shouted cheers back and forth to each other. We ate and talked, sat and walked around, people watched and reflected. Emma, Maura, Gabe and Rachael passed their time together We were there for a few hours before Pope Francis began his parade. As we waited crowds started cheering for anyone who walked or rode by: event staff, clergy, police officers, k-9 teams. Everyone was Spirit-filled, joyful and excited. This time when the Pope came our way I held up my phone for pictures, but focused my attention on the Holy Father and got to experience his blessing. It was an ethereal moment. 

What seemed like only a short time later we moved closer to the jumbo trons and the speakers to hear and see Mass. The K of C provided booklets so we could follow along with Mass. It was amazing to have the international Catholic church pray the Mass together in Latin. At the homily Pope Francis spoke in Spanish and there were English subtitles. We had a very hard time seeing the subtitles but I felt like I got a good sense of the homily. Papal Mass Homily " I leave you with a question "do we shout or do we speak to each other in love and tenderness? That's a good way of measuring our love."  I really wished I could have smelled the incense during the beautiful Liturgy of the Eucharist. We saw hundreds of Papal umbrellas process by above the heads of the people. It was beautiful to see Christ's Body carried out to so many people. Reception of the Eucharist went smoothly as people made space and regrouped as needed. We sang together "I received the Living God" and then "Taste and See" The music stopped being played over the sound system but a beautiful a Capella version continued. The praises of fellow Catholics continued to be lifted in silence and it was so full of peace. Mass ended but that peace has stayed with me.




There was hope, Papa Francisco would come by again but the crowds thinned and we began our walk back to the trains. There were huge lines this time for the trains but we kept moving and we had snacks and water. We were exhausted and it was dark by the time we got on the train, but we had had such a good day. We said our good byes and got back on the road for the drive home. 

I am so grateful that Mom and Dad Kehrman were here to help make our trip possible. Amazing things are possible with a little effort and faith. This was an experience to remember.


1 comment:

  1. It was a great time for us, too. PTL! Both Megan and Bridget were helpful.

    But tell me, what is "meme"? Thinking it was mime?

    I liked your quote from our Pope.
    God bless,
    Gramma Kate

    ReplyDelete