Sunday, September 7, 2014

Emma's 16th Birthday

16

Sixteen

XVI


How did this happen? My baby is 16 years old and it feels like she is getting older everyday. Not the "isn't she getting big"- older, but the "turning into an adult" - older.

There has been a lot of talk these past few weeks about AP classes and thinking about colleges, and getting a driver's license and finding a part time job. These things carry an air of excitement, but also a weight of responsibility.


I took Emma to the DMV to take her permit test and after 4 lines we got through the process. It was a little anti-climactic because they give you a temporary paper permit while you have to wait for the license to come in the mail. Then I got to take Emma out to practice driving for the first time in St. Mark's Rectory parking lot. In all I think I really enjoyed it, but there were plenty of spikes in stress hormones jumping in. Emma did great, but the idea of progressing to a point where we go on the road is frightening. Meanwhile the actual permit did come in the mail, and in a few months she will get the real thing.

I look at Emma and I see so much capacity to do so much and do it well. She is an amazing daughter and I am happy to celebrate her birth.


Emma asked to have her closest friends over for a sleepover and then she ran with all of the planning. She made a few lists and wrote everything out in a notebook. She planned Messy Twister, where the circles are made of colored Cool Whip and Disney Music Challenge, which involves guessing a song's title and movie after only 10 seconds. The rest of the family helped with clean-up, decorating and food prep. Rachael was camping so we were a helper down but Megan stepped up, helping with fruit and veggie trays, spreading colored cool whip for the game and being the Twister spinner. Emma made her own Nutella Cheesecake and Margherita pizza; both of which were fantastic. She she has great taste in friends, which makes the whole event a pleasure.






I wish her a very Happy Sweet Sixteen!

I pray that she takes the path God has set out for her
and that I have the grace to help her take it.

 Prayer for Discernment (Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus)

God our Father,
You have a plan for each one of us,
You hold out to us a future full of hope.
Give us the wisdom of Your Spirit
So that we can see the shape of Your plan
In the gifts You have given us,
And in the circumstances of our daily lives.
Give us the freedom of Your Spirit,
To seek You with all our hearts,
And to choose Your will above all else.
We make this prayer through Christ Our Lord.   Amen.


1 comment:

  1. What a special young lady.

    I love the way all the sisters enjoy helping with and celebrating each others' birthdays.

    Very special prayer. Thanks for sharing that, also.
    Love,
    Grandma Kate

    ReplyDelete