When I heard of Grampa's death I was sad but also so happy for him. I told Megan that night at bedtime, that he lived a great life and had waited a long time for the reward of heaven. He outlived his wife and siblings and I was happy that it was time for him to enjoy God's presence with them. It was important to me to honor his life and legacy, and support my dad and his siblings, so Jim and I decided that I would fly out for his funeral. The flight to GB was the evening of Easter, so it was a sacrifice for Jim and the girls. We celebrated Easter together as a family but the extended family gathering was canceled because of the funeral and Easter did not have it's usual feel. I had to head out mid afternoon. I traveled to GB with Mary, Becky, Will and William. Joe, Magaly and their kids were in Indiana for Easter so they drove up for the funeral. Traveling with my siblings was a funny experience. From laughter at Becky's assertion of air mask assistance, to insulation over our hotel's breakfast area, racing with William and Will in the parking lot, and lastly our flight home and late connection causing us to run through the airport and eat trail mix for dinner.
Our time in Green Bay was made easy by the fact that Grandma and Grandpa modeled the gift of hospitality so well that it is 2nd nature for my Aunts and Uncles. Monday evening was the viewing at the funeral home and I was so glad to see all of my Dad's siblings gathered. My cousins all came in, from all over the US, except for Mike who was in the process of moving back to Wisconsin, starting a new job, and awaiting the birth of his second child. We missed him. The local family had gathered photos and put together wonderful photo boards to display at the funeral home. They also submitted photos for a photo slide show. I was pleased to see the photos, that I sent to Grampa after each of our GB vacations, of him and our girls, were a part of the slide show. It was nice to have reminders of our time with him flash on screen, behind our reminiscing and catching up.Tuesday was the day of the funeral. They held a 2nd viewing at the church prior to the funeral Mass. Everyone in the family served as part of the Mass in some way. Mary did a beautiful job as the cantor and Dad shared history and hope in the Promise of Salvation in his homily. Tears were shed here and there but I think we all had to wipe tears from our eyes after Will prayed for the souls of William Joseph Jauquet and Claudia Francis Jauquet in the Prayer of the Faithful. Will's voice cracked as he tried to vocalize our communal prayer after a moment he regained his voice and lead us through it. I was asked to be a pallbearer and cried as I walked the Grampa's casket out of the church and into the hearse, with my cousins. It was an emotional but beautiful Mass. We followed mass with a meal at Wally's Spot, where we made sure to capture a few pictures while family was all together. After lunch the family headed out to the grave site to place Grampa's body to rest. We all stayed after the prayers to see him lowered into the ground.
![]() |
| Mary Fahndrich, Andy Jauquet, Kevin Jauquet, Brody Rentmester, Joe Jauquet, Brett Rentmester Becky Shumaker, me, Mary Kurek, Will Jauquet Christine Crane, Sam Jauquet, Ben Jauquet |
![]() |
| Jim, John, Bill, Barb, Joe, Don and Deb |
![]() |
| Debra Jauquet and Me |
![]() |
| 206 Schober Street, Green Bay, WI |
Come to his aid, O Saints of God,
Come meet him angels of the Lord.
Receive his soul, O holy ones;
Present him now to God Most High.
May Christ who called you, take you home
Angels lead you to Abraham.
Receive her soul, O holy ones;
Present her now to God Most High.
Give him eternal rest, O Lord,
May light unending shine on him.
Receive his soul, O holy ones;
Present him now to God Most High.
William Joseph Jauquet





Beautiful sharing. Thank you, Liz.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Gramma Kate