Sunday, March 25, 2012

New Holes

Megan has reached another rite of passage. We decided years ago that ear piercing would be something special in our family. I didn't want them to have to wait forever but I didn't want to do it on a whim either, so we decided that we would let them get their ears pierced during their 2nd grade year before they received First Holy Communion. Today Megan was ready for her rising to Earringhood.

Megan had brought up ear piercing a number of times over the past few years and as her First Communion approached she was eager to have a date to get it done. Our weekends can get a little busy but today our scheduled Stream Clean Up was canceled because of rain and we used the rainy day for a bit of fun at the mall. Megan and I went together and Bridget was happy to come along "I'll always say yes to the mall" was her response.

Megan was a little anxious as we headed out and got very chatty as we walked to the accessory store. We waited just a little while and then she was up in the chair holding the store's bear. She picked out the "diamond ones" in white gold. It is a process for them to get set up and sterilize everything but Megs and Bridge kept each other occupied. The store manager put little purple dots on each ear and when they were in the right place, we went for it. Megan had a death grip on the bear but didn't move or make a sound. So much so that I had to check her ear to be sure it was in. With the second ear she did give my hand a squeeze before the trigger was pulled but again she had almost no reaction.

We were all really impressed, including a number of young girls and parents who were watching. Meg got lots of kind words and then we headed into the mall for a smoothie and pretzels.

I was really impressed with her composure. Her poor ears were bright red for an hour or so but they look really cute and she loves them. Her big sisters gave her a very positive response when she got home. It was a nice taste of feeling special in preparation for her upcoming Sacrament.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Megan. Did you know I was about 52 years of age (don't want to say old) when I got my ears pierced? I'm not sure I was as composed as you!
    I also didn't learn to drive a car until after your Uncle Bill was born, in my mid-late 20's. And the computer-Wow,I am still learning.
    Love to all!

    ReplyDelete