Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Worship Space

This summer our church has been under going renovations. I have never really liked the aesthetic of our main church with it's burnt orange cushions and lack luster color scheme, so I was looking forward to the new space. The change wasn't brought about because of aesthetics though. Our archdiocese is taking a look at all of the Mass schedules and availability of priests and our parish is preparing. Our parish is discontinuing the use of our chapel for Sunday worship and is making space in our main church for more people.

Throughout the summer we went to Mass in the gym; it was surprisingly not a bad space in which to worship. Everything felt different though. I missed the familiar-ness of the church. No pews- do you kneel or not? Different faces - do you feel out of place or comfortable? Music ministry - no folk group, only an organist who can't sing. I was impressed that Emma's reaction to this was to sing louder and "help out". I couldn't help but feel I was getting a peak at the future.

Recently Emma participated in the enrollment of Confirmation candidates in the gym during Mass. It was wonderful to see so many young people in Mass and our pastor noted that this is what our parish should look like each week. Even in the unfamiliar setting, I reacted on an emotional level. It felt good. The Body of Christ felt alive. Beside me I saw Rachael with tears in her eyes, she had to share her excitement and hugged Emma when she returned to our row of folding chairs. It wasn't the worship space that mattered it was the huge group of people assembled for Christ.

Last weekend when I woke the girls up for Mass, Megan asked if we could go to the chapel instead. We did and I was touched to realize that it was the last Sunday for Mass in the chapel. The chapel regulars looked a bit forlorn and our pastor spoke on the transitions that were taking place. This was our wake up call he said and asked us to pray fervently for vocations and also to directly encourage men to consider the priesthood. Some of these chapel goers have been attending Mass in the chapel for decades.  I look forward to worshiping with them.


Our first Mass in the new space went well. The girls walked in open-mouthed. Bridget ran her hands over the refurbished pews. It feels huge and smells of paint and new carpet. I like a lot of it, especially the new crucifix suspended over the altar and dislike other parts. It is unfamiliar but it was full of the Body of Christ and we worshiped together and received our Lord.

1 comment:

  1. We went through this several years ago. To get more space, the church was turned 180 degrees and wings added. Instead of losing a chapel, we gained an Adoration Chapel. When we were in the gym, our pastor had the old pews and kneelers moved in and all the school gym classes were outside or in a hallway. We were in the gym longer than a summer. The art class had done the Stations of the Cross for us. Though the Blessed Sacrament did not remain in that worship space all week, the altar did. And we had the little chapel in the office bldg.(former convent)for the beginning of our parish Adoration hours and short visits. Your sharing brought back all the good memories of being a Church without a church.
    When you learn the dates of Em's Confirmation and Megan's First Holy Communion, please let us know. Rae is a deep and loving child.
    Love and Hugs to all,
    Grandma Kate

    ReplyDelete