Thursday, September 22, 2011

On the field

Our sports season was a bit washed out at the beginning and got off to a slow start. This summer though, Emma was able to attend Pick Up Sticks, which is a league wide opportunity for the field hockey girls to get back into playing form before evaluations. Emma was very encouraged by positive feedback that she got from coaches and she did well at evaluations. All girls are placed on teams and this league does evaluations in order to create evenly skilled teams.A number of my friends coach the younger division and I was so proud when they passed on how impressed they were with Emma and said that she was sought after by the coaches. I think Emma was a little surprised when I shared this with her. She has a great set of coaches leading her team this year and she was excited to play, but then August hit and out of 6 practices I think 5 were rained out. It wasn't until Labor Day weekend when she got on the field with her team.

Rachael also had a slow start to soccer this season. They were set to start practice in August but practices were rained out. Then the first game was rained out. She was able to get to a relatively dry practice and they handed out the uniforms. Their team has the pink uniforms, which Rachael wasn't thrilled about, and then the team voted on a name. Pink Power won and Rachael learned the lesson that if you don't put any ideas of your own forward then you can get stuck with someone else's idea whether you like it or not. Her disappointment was short lived because the action finally started.

Rae played her 1st game and because a number of the girls like being goalie Rachael was out on the field this game. She plays half-back and forward and played very well. It was great to see her out there enjoying herself and being active. Pink Power won amid a light drizzle and Rachael looks forward to her next game.


Emma also had a game this past weekend. The first game was cut short due to lightning so this was her first full game. She played forward the 1st half and moved the ball well. I am so impressed with the athlete she has become. when the 2nd half started I searched the field to see where Emma was playing but I couldn't find her. Then Jim realized that she was covered head to toe in pads and was on her way into the goal. Her team had a  substantial lead and Emma didn't really see any action in goal, but I guess that is better than the alternative. She likes the position and will probably do it again.

 It was a great start to the season.

1 comment:

  1. I will miss seeing them in action. I have no picture in my mind of them playing except as beginners. But they have come a long way from that! Have a fun season!!!
    Love to all-

    ReplyDelete