Our tour then took us through 3 generations on both my Grampa's and Grandma's sides. We visited the homes they built, churches they attended, and their places of burial. My grandmothers family donated the land for their church and graveyard. And my grandfather's grandfather donated an amazing stained glass window for their church. They were obvious people of faith and fortitude. After coming to the US with very little, I could see their pride in the homes they built and lived, with circular windows and decorative brick. They worked hard and I got the sense that they didn't take the good fruit of their labor for granted. I feel blessed to have received these gifts: the binder of info and pictures, the tour and stories, but mostly I feel blessed to know I am fruit of my grandfather's grandfathers.
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Grandfathers' Grandfathers
Our tour then took us through 3 generations on both my Grampa's and Grandma's sides. We visited the homes they built, churches they attended, and their places of burial. My grandmothers family donated the land for their church and graveyard. And my grandfather's grandfather donated an amazing stained glass window for their church. They were obvious people of faith and fortitude. After coming to the US with very little, I could see their pride in the homes they built and lived, with circular windows and decorative brick. They worked hard and I got the sense that they didn't take the good fruit of their labor for granted. I feel blessed to have received these gifts: the binder of info and pictures, the tour and stories, but mostly I feel blessed to know I am fruit of my grandfather's grandfathers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

John Peter and I have the same birth date-and your anniversary.
ReplyDeleteDid Rae get to go on a tour?
It sounds like a beautiful gift from your Uncle Don and Aunt Sue,and it has been well appreciated.
How are you related to the farm owners, Liz?
LOVE to all
Jim and Heather took the kids to the Wildlife Sanctuary and Rae was a buddy for the little Jauquets.
ReplyDeleteThe farm owners are cousins: my great, great grandfather and his great grandfather were brothers. They pronounce the name jo-kay.