Monday, July 11, 2011

Making 4th Traditions


Each year our town shifts into high gear as they prepare for the 4th of July, chairs line the road, parrade floats are preparred and flags appear lining all of the neighborhoods. We really enjoy taking part in the community events and doing so as a family. In our excitement a few years back I painted all of the girls nails in patriotic colors, it was so much fun we bought more accurate colors and did it again the following year. Last year we found a white polish designed for detail painting and so this year as the 4th approached it was a given that we would again paint our nails together. Flags, fireworks, stars and strips: everyone goes for something a little different. It has become a tradition.


Watching the Catonsville parade has also become a tradition. When the girls were little we skipped the Catonsville parade which was at nap time and went to the earlier Arbutus parade. But the C-ville parade is a huge deal and 2 years ago we experienced it for the first time. I have a feeling we will be going for many years to come. Rachael, Megan and Jim all walked with the Elementary school float this year, which we helped build the week prior. They were near the front of the parade and then joined us on the sidewalk along with friends. 





Just prior to the parade start, I dropped the parade walkers off at the float and then drove to Becky and Erik's house. They live right near the parade route and have a big back yard cookout each year with neighbors and invite the family. So we park at their house, drop stuff off and walk to the parade. But this year I unloaded the first pile of stuff and then locked both my keys and Jim's keys in the van. I hope that doesn't become a tradtiion. God is good though and the friends we met up with at the parade offered us their AAA service. Since they were coming back to Becky and Erik's with us to help they were invited to stay for the cookout.

The cookout is great fun and is full of wonderful food. I make a noodle salad each year so I brought that and as I was making it the girls asked "Aren't you making rocket pops?" I guess that has become a tradition as well. I saw a recipe for the red white and blue popsicles and made them a number of years ago. Each year I seem to forget about them, but the girls haven't and so each year I make them and the kids all wind up with dripping red chins. We talked and played until dark and walked to the field nearby for a very impressive fireworks display.


As we said our good-byes our friend (the AAA recuser) gave me a hug and said "Thanks for locking your keys in the van." It was a good time and who knows maybe seeing them each 4th will become a tradition too.

1 comment:

  1. What fun!! I am impressed with the nails, but most of all the friendships. Traditions are so special.
    A little story: After having to stay in CO for Christmas one year (job related), and being at a loss for tradition, PawPaw said we were staying home the next year and start some traditions. Uncle Bill, maybe 8 at the time, said,"We have a tradition-it is going to St. Louis!"

    ReplyDelete