16 years of a strange but fruitful relationship, summed up by Star Wars. Like Han, Jim is a little rough on the edges and sometimes harsh with his words but skilled and warmhearted underneath. Like C-3PO, Diplomacy and service are more my calling, as it is programmed with protocol droids, But irritating, too talkative, and frequently not getting the joke. I definitely am not Chewbacca, since I frequently would rather avoid a battle. This means I don't always have his back like I should. And I am not the powerful, frustrated Princess Leia either.
Han and C-3PO get through a lot of scrapes together sometimes in spite of themselves. They both add important skills to the struggles they face and really they do like each other, but day to day they can cause each other a lot of aggravation. Maybe it isn't the "best" relationship in film but it is successful and I will happily continue to be the C-3PO to his Han Solo.



Dad read this first and said the title was about your relationship. But he did not have to tell me who was which character. (Got out of remembering if it should be who or whom very nicely, I think.)
ReplyDeleteI think it is a great gift to be able to see your relationship in something concrete, even though it's movie characters. I think it was Marriage Encounter that said to use picture words when communicating--you definitely have picture words. Definitely.
Love each of you and the together you make. Mom
Great analogy. Have you thought about submitting some of your writing to a magazine?
ReplyDelete