Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hair cuts

The girls all have simple long hair styles and I generally just let the girls hair grow until it gets unruly. Recently it became obvious it was time. Struggling to get a brush through Rachael's hair was becoming a frequent event and after her bath I mentioned a hair cut. Megan and Bridget were near by and chimed in that they wanted hair cuts, Rae on the other hand was more resigned to the idea than excited. Megan's curly hair had gotten stringier and harder to manage recently. Her hair is always more difficult in the winter and it is less likely to form fabulous ringlets but even nicer weather days weren't equaling good hair days, so she was in need as well. When it was time to brush Bridget's hair I came upon a hunk of food and pink playdoh dried in the ends. I am still rather sentimental about Bridge's hair though and the idea of cutting it was unappealing. Her hair, as Becky recently described it, is luxurious. It is long, wavy, strong and silky with subtle highlights. Bridget has great hair but it doesn't look so good with stuff crusted in the ends. time for a trim. Emma's hair is still growing at an amazing rate but since she washes and styles it on her own, I wait till she indicates that she wants a cut before we take her to the salon. For now she is letting it grow.

The little girls are fond of Carton cuts at the Mall, so we grabbed an open Monday evening and hit the mall after work. Bridget was excited about a hair cut but told me "I am fine with the scissors, but not the elephant." The elephant on the wall above the sink has the water hose and sprayer as his trunk. There is a raised platform that the kids lay on in front of the sink. When we got there we decided that the girls should have their hair washed. Rachael went first and talked to Bridget about how it wasn't scary. As Rae got her hair cut, Megan got her hair washed and again reassured Bridget that it was fine. Bridget climbed up without much coaxing but stopped as she neared the platform. Her fear of heights kicked in. After a short time though, Jim and the hairstylist coaxed Bridge to lay down. She was so proud of herself when she was done. "I'm not afraid anymore!", she said.


Each of them looks much neater with their hair cuts, but I do miss Bridget's length. Megan's hair regained it's bounce and her curls were lively this morning. Rachael says it feels weird without her long hair, and is wearing it in a ponytail, she says, until it feels right. About 3 inches were cut off and I think she will get used to it quickly. They look ready for spring.

1 comment:

  1. I just love the way I have seen the girls encourage each other. How loving! And, Bridget, how brave!

    Their long hair is pretty and very versatile. Did I spell that correctly? There is something special about Rae's face when she has a ponytail.

    Is Emma going to donate her hair? Locks of Love, I think it is called. But I think waiting for it to grow out again is the real sacrifice.

    Love to all. We sure miss you!

    ReplyDelete