This evening Bridget was very tired after a day with the Kurek cousins and obviously needed to get to bed at a decent hour. We have gotten rather lax about bedtime this summer and some mornings it shows. Bridget's sleepiness encouraged me to slide back to our school night bed time and I started the routine before 8:00. Bridget was pretending she needed my help in changing into pj's, when Megan challenged her to see who could do it faster. Lo and behold Bridget won, and I was happy have avoided the "helpless" act.
I read Meg and Bridget a few Dora stories on the sofa, with Megan's help. After prayers I tucked the 3 younger sisters into bed in their shared room. Bridget asked me to stay with her after the lights were out and hold her hand. This is a pretty frequent request and I am happy to oblige. She doesn't need me to stay long and sometimes will even dismiss me after a few minutes and tell me I can go. She asked for me to sing Twinkle, Twinkle tonight so I did and then I added a number of song prayers. As I was singing "Jesus Remember Me" Bridget was dosing off but all of a sudden started twisting my hand and trying to turn it over. This was uncomfortable for me because of my position leaning over her guard rail so I asked her why she was trying to force my hand to a different position. She said "if my hand is on the bottom, it will let go if I fall asleep." I explained that that would be ok, but that I would still stay after she fell asleep if she wanted me too. She relaxed again and rubbed her Lamby tag on her top lip and promptly fell asleep as I started singing "Hail Mary".
Good night, sleep tight and know God holds you tight.
ReplyDeleteI love your family's special little stories.