This past week the 3 big girls started a new school year. Each of them were ready to see friends, have a structured day, and learn new things. Megan had been going to Westchester over the past few years and was eager to attend herself. The Thursday before school started they had a social so we could meet the teachers and see the classrooms. Emma really wanted to go back to WES and see her teachers and friends so she joined Megan and Rachael at the elementary school for the social. It was comforting to begin to get a feel for thier year. We dropped Meg and Rae off at home and then Emma and I went to the middle school. We got to walk through her schedule and meet all of her teachers. It was a good thing she also got a chance to try her locker combination. She and I both felt better after spending some time in the school. I realized that I have been concerned about middle school, because I just didn't have much information.
The first day meant that Emma had to get up at 6:30, which is 2 hours earlier than she normally got up. She saw a dress when we were shopping that we bought. When we came home Emma came running over to me holding the tag. The dress was designed by Taylor Swift and life just couldn't have gotten better at that point. Emma did great about getting up this week and has been good about getting through the copious amount of homework each day. Emma and Molly, our neighbor, ride the bus together and came home full of horror at the language the kids on the bus used. I am glad Emma abhors the language but I am very displeased that she will be exposed to it regularly. I am not ready for her innocence to be lost. Emma hasn't stopped talking since middle school started. She is so full of new experiences that the only place they have to go is out of her mouth. She is loving it.
Rachael doesn't have to get on the bus until 8:45 but she is regularly up before Emma. Rachael spent 1st and 2nd grade with the same teacher and classmates, but this year only 5 of her former classmates are in her 3rd grade. Rachael will also have to change classes this year and is in GT classes, so she is getting adjusted. Getting her focused enough to get things accomplished each morning without following her around is a challenge and I am grateful that we have a good amount of time. Rachael has started back with having night terrors and sleepwalking. I know that this change takes its toll on her and I am proud that she seems to be maturing in how she is handling it. There haven't been out of control outbursts or hitting, and I am hopeful for 3rd grade.
Kindergarten began with a modified schedule, so Megan got to ease into the year. It meant a crazy work schedule for me but it was great to get to go in for her first day, as well as drop her off and pick her up the other days. In the classroom Megan participated well and was very upbeat. She was really excited to ride the bus on Friday and have a whole day. She has also recognized her loss of time with her cousins and free play. She told me that she was sad because she wouldn't see baby Benjamin and she was sad because she wouldn't get to play as much. She is right on both counts, but she also has so many great new adventures that I know she is looking forward to. 
Now Jim and I need to get a handle on the sports, religious ed and scout schedules. This may never happen. In the mean time Bridget is turning into a big girl and yet is still a little one.
Everyone looks so sharp and ready for their new school year! How is Bridget doing without Megan? The first picture of Rachael and Megan reminds me of the giraffe and hippo poster. Buddies as well as sisters.
ReplyDeleteLove to all.
My favorite thing about that first picture if that I didn't ask them to do it. Rachael was the one who leaned in and Megan was willing. Yeah! Bridge is doing well so far. We'll see what happens when Sarah goes to pre-k next week.
ReplyDelete