Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Camps and VBS

We have eased into the fun of summer and have enjoyed weirdly comfortable weather. It is summer in Baltimore and even Jim is comfortable without the A/C on. We have a number of things on our calender but it is still a nice easy pace. In June Em, Rae and Matthew went to a morning art studio at the community college for a week. They really enjoyed it. Emma said she learned new things every day and especially liked sculpture. A week later at dinner she shared that she wanted to be an artist, she had held tight at writer since 3rd grade but she is leaning in a slightly different creative direction now. On the painting day they did a still life of fruit and Rachael showed me a very colorful abstract piece. the other students joined in to explain that she had spilled paint on her picture and she turned it into a puppy walking across her page. I was happy to see the spill not ruin her work but instead turn it into a whimsical story.

In June we also set up our new pool. It is a quick set 13 ft pool that is 3 1/2 feet deep. The non-stop rain delayed the set up for a while and then the fittings for our salt water chlorinator delayed it even longer. Megan was very anxious to get in but even after it was up our cooler than normal weather kept the water from getting to a good temperature. Still now in July Megan's gets out after 30 minutes shivering. Rae and Emma don't succumb to the cool temp very quickly. Bridget got in the 1st night with Jim but she did not enjoy the cold water or the splashing of her sisters. She does love to sit in our patio chairs with the towels. The salt water has been great and I am happy not to be combing out tanglely chlorine hair.

The week prior to the 4th Emma and Rachael went to girl scout day camp. It was a US theme and had lots of activities around the states. They love this camp and even though they don't know many girls since it isn't in our county they make friends easily. Our neighbor's attend too and Ms. Laura is the quarter master so they have been going for the past few years and have a built in ride. This is Emma's last year so she got to attend a special overnight with the rising 6th graders. She came home with gobs of stories and songs. Each night Rachael came home exhausted but took the time to read through our pack of US State cards before prayer time.

That same week was Vacation bible school and St. Will's the big girls were gone so this left Megan to go without her sisters. 5 of her cousins were there so I knew she would know plenty of people. I asked her how it went and she said that she was in a group with babies. Upon further explanation we discovered this meant 4 year olds and one 3 year old. She was upset and I asked her if she wanted me to talk to the leader. Immediately Megan relaxed, I got the feeling she trusted me to help her. The next morning when I did talk to the leader I found out that the group was mostly 5 year olds who were going into kindergarten, like Megan. Megan gave me a skeptical look when I told her but settled in just fine.

This week Megan is attending VBS at St. Mark's with Rachael and cousins. Meg and Rae were both excited to see kids they knew well. One of Megan's favorite pre-k friends, Charlie, asked her to sit next to him in the pew on the first day. At that point I knew the week would be a success. Rachael has been enjoying the creative snacks and crafts each day and can tell me what the themes are. Megan can't remember any of the themes but she can sing the songs.

Our evenings are low key, as the girls swim followed by bedtime routines and story time. We read the Meg and Bridget together, and then Em and Rae together. The big girls are excited each night to continue onto a new chapter of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, while Meg and Bridge pick books from our library bag.

Bridge is paying attention to all that swirls around her. One night in the van Jim reprimanded the big girls for being out of control and asked "Do you think I like repeating myself?". Bridget chimes in asking "Daddy, you peed yourself?" She makes me laugh.

1 comment:

  1. What fun! Megan you are really growing up!
    And I bet the older girls were glad for Bridget's question---it must have changed the mood in the car. Hopefully, they settled down. Although I know a man who as a child would just have gone crazy with laughter--loud giggly laughter.
    Love to all!
    Grandma Kate

    ReplyDelete