Monday, May 18, 2009

First Holy Eucharist

May 2nd was Rachael's First Eucharist. She had been preparing for it over the past few months and was really getting excited as the big day approached. The week before Jim and Rachael went to the Communion Workshop and made her banner together. Rachael had drawn and cut out some shapes ahead of time including a sheep and crosses. The banner looked great. They also got a chance to practice receiving communion and tasted an unconsecrated host and wine. She thought that was great.

On May 1st, Jim's parents flew in from Colorado so all of the girls were excited. Megan kept asking how long they were staying and wanted them to change plane tickets so they wouldn't have to go back on Sunday. Friday night Rachael tried on the First Communion dress and veil. Megan was in awe and kept telling Rachael how pretty she looked and that she looked like a queen. Rachael enjoyed the flattery. Bridget was drawn to the veil and kept touching it. She said "I will get Jesus when I'm a big girl."

Emma got to see Paw Paw and Grandma Kate for a few moments before Grandma and I drove her down to spend the night on the USS Constellation in the Inner Harbor with girl scouts. Emma had a great time but not much sleep since she took a turn keeping night watch but was home in time for Rachael's Sacrament.


It was so special to have so much family at church to celebrate with Rachael. Rachael was assigned a pew pretty close to the front and her banner hung over the end. She also had the honor of carrying up the gifts as well. During the homily Fr. Whatley even had her raise her hand as he mentioned Grampa having the privilege of giving her First Communion. Rachael said it was hard to raise her arm because of the dress sleeves. Due to the of the swine flu they did not offer the Precious Blood, I was a little disappointed but I don't know that she was. This past weekend she did get to partake in the cup as the health restrictions were lifted.

Her First Communion Mass was wonderful and we stayed to take pictures with her Godparents the Murphys. Then we went back to the house for lunch. Everyone was starving so the munchies went fast, while Jim grilled. It had been very rainy all week and everything was muddy so we were inside most of the time but the sun was out and beautiful. Rachael stayed in her dress most of the day, she really looked lovely and I could tell she felt special. I hope that special feeling stays with her and I pray that she knows that God's true presence is with her.

2 comments:

  1. We were so glad we could be part of the celebration. Thanks for the post.
    Love PawPaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a full and wonderful time. Liz didn't say that because of blocked streets it took us a long time to get home from taking Emma to the Constellation. I haven't had a chance to visit with just Liz for a long time in a long time. Part of my good memories. But the blessing of sharing the wonderful event with Rachael gets top billing.
    Love,Gramma Kate

    ReplyDelete